Frequently Asked Questions About Applying Vinyl.
Q. Does the temperature really matter when applying?
A. Yes. When a applying your vinyl lettering or decals the correct temperature is very important. Being that the vinyl backing is basically a glue and it needs to be warm in order to stick. Also the vinyl itself will not be as playable if it is to cold. On the other hand if it is to hot the vinyl may become to playable and may stretch. We recommend application temperatures be between 75-90 degrees.
Q. When should I use water to apply?
A. We recommend using water on larger lettering (2" inches or higher in height), large decals and our racing stripes.
Q. Why apply smaller lettering and decals dry?
A. Small lettering when pressed down firmly should not have any air bubbles, due to the fact that there is not a lot of vinyl area being applied to the surface. Also small lettering needs to stick right away so that letters stay properly aligned and spaced. Using water would only keep the smaller letters from applying to the surface. Most likely the letters will just stick to the transfer tape and not the wet surface.
Q. How long can the water sit on the vinyl?
A. We recommend getting the water pushed out and evaporated as soon as you can.
- Vinyl- The vinyl may stay wet as long as you need. Water will not effect the adhesive or vinyl itself at all.
- Transfer Tape- Transfer tape may stay wet for a few minutes without any issues. But please remember that the transfer tapes only purpose is to transfer the vinyl decal onto the surface and it is thrown away. So its adhesive is not meant to be permanent or strong. With that being said, if it says wet any longer then a few minutes the water will start to break the adhesive. If that occurs the glue will start to become a mess. You may still be able to apply the decal if this happens, but it will much harder.
- Backing- You should not have any water sitting on the backing at all. If the backing becomes wet, it will break down and become a mess. Remember the backing is basically just paper. If you get it a little wet for a few seconds, it will not be that big of a deal. Because there is a thin layer of a wax paper on top, but it can not stay wet for long.
An important note about our Premium vinyl thickness.
Our Premium vinyl is much thinner then our standard vinyl. This allows it to be much more playable then our standard. It also helps in the overall finished product being closer to the surface, "giving it a cleaner look". But please be aware that when applying our Premium vinyl you will have to be more gentle with the vinyl itself, as far as pulling or stretching it.
Hopefully by knowing this information about our premium vinyl thickness before hand will help when applying, and your decal will turn our great.
- Standard vinyl thickness. 2.5 mil (rated for at least 6 years outdoor use).
- Premium vinyl thickness. 2 mil (rated for at least 10-12 year outdoor use).